Organizing your products in categories is one of the essential steps in building any online store. It represents what you will be selling in a clear and easy way to the customers.
In this article we will help you create the categories. However, they will not be showing on your store’s front-end. In the next article, we will show you how to make them visible on the front-end.
We’ll guide you through creating one category as an example. So to do that, kindly follow the below steps:
- From your admin panel go to “Catalog” > “Categories” > “Manage Categories”
- To add a new category click on the “Root category”, usually titled as the “Default category”.
- Then click on “Add Subcategory” button on the top left of the page.
- Note: To add a subcategory click on the category name under which you want to add a subcategory, then click on “Add Subcategory” button.
- Fill in the category information:
1. General Information
- “Name”: Type in the name of the category, in this example, the category’s name is “Men”
- “Is Active”: Set it to “Yes”
- “URL Key”: You can enter a URL Key for the category, or let the system automatically create one that is based on the category name and should be in lowercase letters. The URL key here is “men” same as the category name.
- “Description”: describes the category, and it appears on top of the category page.
- “Thumbnail Image”: A small image of 16×16 pixels that shows on the menu bar next to the category.
- “Image”: To display an image at the top of the category landing page, click on the “Choose File” button and select the image to upload it.
- Complete the category metadata:
- “Page Title”
- “Meta Keywords”
- “Meta Description”
2. Display Settings
- “Display Mode”: Set the Display Mode to one of the following:
- “Products Only”: It will display the products you have added to the category.
- “Static Block Only”: It will not display products on the page. It will only display the static block you have selected. However, once you select Display Only Static Block, you should determine which static block you would like to link the category with, from the CMS Block dropdown field. Speaking about static blocks, please note that static blocks will be covered in CS2 stage and in Growth program as well.
- “Static Block and Products”: It will display both Static Block and Products.
- “Is Anchor”: Set it to “Yes”.
3. Category Products
- Category Products tab, it allows you to search for the products you would like to add to this category, by clicking on the checkboxes of these products. After the products have been selected, you will be able to control their position in the category listing, by specifying the number in the Position column. However, notice that no products will appear if you have not added any products yet. Also if you have added products and they don’t show under this section, you can click on the “Reset Filter” button on top of the table of the products.
- Once you finish click on the “Save Category” button.
Don’t refresh the store’s homepage, the categories will not be showing, you will need to complete the steps in the following article “How To Manage Categories 2“.
Each category has a unique ID that can’t be used for another category. The category ID shows next to its name.
At the end of this article, you should be able to know how to create a new category.
After successfully creating new categories, you will need to link the new categories to the mega menu. This is what you will learn in the next article “How to manage categories 2“.