This type of products on your website is what your customers can download, such as videos and songs. They are similar to virtual products, except that they include the ability to add one or more digital files to download. Files can be uploaded via the Admin interface. This category might include products such as:
- Computer Software
- Music classes videos
In order to add a new Downloadable product to your store, kindly follow the below steps:
- From your admin panel go to “Catalog” > “Products” > “Manage Products”.
- Click on “Add Product” button.
- From “Product Type” drop down list select “Downloadable Product”, and keep the “Attribute set” to “Default”.
- Then click on “Continue” button.
You will be redirected to the “New Product” creation page to fill in the following tabs:
- “Name”: The product name which will appear on the front-end of your store.
- “Description”: Text that includes the specifications of the product which will appear on the product page.
- “Short Description”: The description that appears at the top of the product page.
- SKU: is the (Stock Keeping Unit): this number is a unique identifier for this product, across all stores and websites. For Example, 1001-IC PS. Starting SKUs with (0) for example (0111a) will cause issues, so it’s highly recommended not to start the SKUs numbers with 0.
- “Set Product as New from Date” and “Set Product as New to Date”: are used to set the product as a new product with a label for a specific period of time, and the product will be displayed on the New products slider on the homepage of your store.
- “Status”: Set it to “Enabled”.
- “Visibility”: Choose how you want the product to be displayed, in the catalog pages and/or search results. It is recommended to set it to “Catalog,Search”.
- “In stock?”: Set to “In Stock”.
- “Rating”: Select the rate that you want to display for the product.
- “Featured product”: if set to Yes the product will be displayed on the Featured products slider on the homepage of your store.
- “Aramex Supplier”: Is a function used to connect your store’s suppliers to aramex-registered suppliers.
Enter the price, and special price for this product (if it’s on sale). Kindly check the below fields:
- “Price”: Where product price can be entered.
- “Group Price”: Is where you can add a special price for a specific customer group.
- “Special Price”: is where you can enter a special/discounted price for the product.
- “Special price from/to Date”: is where a period of time is specified for the special price, and the product will be displayed on the On Sale products slider on the homepage of your store.
- “Tier Price”: Tier pricing allows you to offer a quantity discount from the catalog list and product details pages. The discount can be applied to a specific store view or customer group.
- “Tax Class”: Set it to “None”.
Meta information can help you with SEO- search engine optimization-. Here you can add all of the following information for this product: Page Title, meta keywords and meta description. Meta keywords and description will be shown in the tags of the product’s html source. Page title, which is the title of the product page that appears on the browser tab:
- “Meta Title”: where Meta title for the store is specified.
- “Meta Keywords”: Are a group of keywords used for optimizing SEO which describe the type of products your store is selling.
- “Meta Description”: where description of the store is entered to help optimize your store’s SEO.
The Images tab is used to upload and manage individual images for the current product. You can upload multiple images for each product. In order to add a new image, kindly follow the below steps:
- Click on “Browse Files” button to pick an image from your computer, then click on “Upload Files” to upload the image you picked, on your store.
- Make sure to select the: “Base Image”, “Small Image” and “Thumbnail” radio buttons to the uploaded image. This allows the image to be uploaded in different sizes in the store based on its location.
- *Images types:
- “Base image”: it is the main image on the product details page.
- “Small Image”: it is used for the product images in listings on category and search results pages.
- “Thumbnail”: Thumbnail images appear in the thumbnail gallery, shopping cart, and in some blocks such as Related Items
- “Manage Stock”: Set it to “Yes”.
- “Qty”: The quantity you have in stock at the moment.
- “Stock Availability”: Set it to “In Stock”. If you set it to “Out of Stock”, your customers will not be able to add the item to the cart
Check the box next to “Main Website”.
Select which category or subcategory, you want the product to be displayed in, by checking the box next to the category name (you can select more than one category and subcategory).
Those products will show up on the same product information page that the customer is looking at, but on the right side. Customers can purchase those products in addition to the item they are viewing. For example, when a customer is viewing a laptop that he/she wants to purchase, he/she can see additional products that he/she may be interested in, such as a computer’s mouse or extra CD-rom.
Products which have the same nature, but have few differences between them. Customers can choose from them instead of the product that they are viewing. The differences can be in the quality or the popularity…etc. They are all shown on the same page.
Products that get displayed after a product has been added to the shopping cart. In this design package, three products are randomly picked from the products that are marked as cross-sells of all the products in the shopping cart.
If you used in Configurable, Grouped, or Bundle Products you must not Add Custom options to your products, that products will not be shown then. That is because these products already have custom options when created, so creating a new custom option will cause conflict and products won’t be shown.
Once you finish filling all the mentioned tabs above click on “Save” button.
In the links section, do the following:
- Enter a Title for the list of downloadable products.
- Set the links that can be purchased separately to one of the following:
- If you want to offer multiple downloadable links, such as to sell individual songs on an album, select “Yes.”
- To offer a single download of this item, select “No
Click on the Add New Row button, and do the following:
- Enter the Title and Price of the download.
- To limit the number of downloads a customer can make, enter the number in the Max number of downloads field. To allow unlimited downloads, select the Unlimited checkbox.
- Set Shareable to your preference.
- To require customers to log in to their accounts to access the download link, select “No.”
- To send the link by email, which the customer can then share with others, select “Yes”.
Under Sample, use one of the following methods to deliver a sample of the downloadable product.
- Select the File option. Then, click the Browse button, and select the sample file to upload to the server.
- Select the URL option. Then, paste the full URL of the sample file.
Under File, use one of the following methods to deliver the actual downloadable product.
- Select the File option. Then, click on the Browse button, and select the file to upload.
- Select the URL option. Then, paste the full URL of the file that is available for download.
At the end of this article you should be able to create a Downloadable product.
Things to remember
- Downloadable products can be uploaded to the server, or linked from another server on the Internet.
- You can determine the number of times a customer can download a product.
- Customers purchasing downloadable products can be required to log in before going through checkout.
- The delivery of a downloadable product can be made when the order is in either a “Pending” or “Invoiced” state.