Abandonment is an e-commerce term used to describe when visitors on a web page who leave that page before completing the desired action. for example when a customer adds items to his/her shopping cart but exits the website without placing an order.
To find the abandoned cart follow the below steps :
- On the Admin menu, select Reports > Shopping carts>Abandoned Carts
The report display will show you the following:
- Customer Name
- Number of Items
- Quantity of Items
- Applied Coupon
- Created At
- Updated At
- IP Address
In this example, you can see that “Heba almasri” has abandoned her cart. If we now visit Heba’s Customer record, we will see exactly what was in it when she left the site.
2. Click on the Customer record, you will be redirected to the customer shopping cart and can see the abandoned item in the cart :
Top Reasons for Shopping Cart Abandonment
- Unexpected Shipping Costs
- Having to create a new account
- Was just conducting research
- Concerns about payment security
- Long and Confusing Checkout
- The website had errors/crashes
- Return policy wasn’t satisfactory
- Credit Card was declined
- wanted to do some more research.
By the end of this article, you should be able to know the definition of the abandoned carts and why are people abandoning shopping carts.