In its simplest form, a Sitemap is an XML file that lists URLs for a site along with additional metadata about each URL (when it was last updated, how often it usually changes, and how important it is, relative to other URLs in the site) so that search engines can more intelligently crawl the site.
What it’s important to my store?
Sitemap is an easy way for webmasters to inform search engines about pages on their sites that are available for crawling. In its simplest form, a sitemap is a plain text file that lists URLs (links) for a website. A sitemap can also be provided in an XML format that includes additional meta data about each URL so that search engines can more intelligently crawl the site.
- “System” > “Advanced” > “Settings” > “Catalog” tab > “Google Sitemap”
- Click on “Add Sitemap” button, and complete the following:
- “Filename”: The filename is usually written like this in this format: “sitemap.xml”
- “Path”: Set path with a backslash “/”
- “Store View”: Choose the store view “English” or “Arabic” depending on the store you are working on
- Once you finish click on “Save & Generate” button to start the process of sitemap generation. then you should see this page:
In order to check the sitemap, go to http://yourstore.com/sitemap.xml , this link will be used by Google and other search engines to crawl your website and list it in their search engines results, in order to get a better organic ranking.
By the end of this article, you should be able to create new sitemap in your store.