GTM helps you with adding and updating your website’s tags and mobile applications, easily and for free, whenever you want, without involving a developer whenever you need to make changes.
Benefits of Google Tag Manager
Google Tag Manager is free and easy, leaving more time and money to spend on your marketing campaigns. You manage your tags and configure your mobile applications yourself, with an easy-to-use web interface;
1. Speed and Flexibility: Changes and new Tags can be made rapidly and do not require code changes to the website.
2. Debug Options: Making sure that your Tags works before you publish them to the live site is very important. GTM has a built-in debug feature which allows you to personally test and debug each update in your browser on your actual site before publishing the change.
3. Version Control: Every time you publish a change, it creates a new version, which is archived. If at any time, you need to rollback to an existing version, you can do so easily.
4. User Permissions: GTM allows you to set permissions for individual users that include view, edit, and publish. You can control internally who has the ability to make updates to the website.
5. Built-In Tags: GTM has included tags for classic and Universal Analytics, AdWords conversions, remarketing, as well as other popular ad networks. This is extremely helpful to marketers just starting with GTM and who do not have much coding experience.
6. Event Listeners: GTM takes the hassle out of manually tagging each link that you want to track with individual one-click attributes to send events to Google Analytics. Instead, you can target links or buttons by attributes that are already on the link or by using a standardized naming structure like data attributes.
Connect your Google Tag Manager with your Online Store:
First of all, set up and account with Google Tag Manager by following this link
After you set up an account and your store’s Tag Manager Container, go to your store’s admin panel and follow the below steps:
- Go to System > Configurations
- Go to Google API under Sales section
- Click on Google Tag Manager to expand the section
- Change Enable to Yes
- Copy the Google Tag Manager Container ID from your GTM account (looks something like GTM-XXXXXXX) and paste it in Container Public ID section
- Click on Save Config
By end of this article, you should be able to know what Google Tag Manager is, what are the benefits of GTM, how to create an account and connect it with your store.